Wednesday, 21 September 2011

shades of darkness

I was hanging out with a wonderful 2 year old the other evening. We were walking down the street, and he was talking about the different shades of darkness. He had a name for each shade. The only one I can remember is "gala dark" which was the blackest dark. There was a purple shade of dark, a pink shade, and a blue shade, and possibly more shades that I'm forgetting.

I was floored that this little one could distinguish between these shades in the evening and night sky, and that he had the idea to name them.

My sister and I took a photography course several years ago where we learned to develop photos in a darkroom. There is something terribly magical about playing with light and watching a photo appear in the dark, right before your eyes in the developing solution. Experimenting with timing and exposure to light can drastically change a photo - the contrast between light and dark, and the shades of each one.

Today I heard two verses that talked about darkness. "If I say, 'Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,' even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you." Psalm 139:11-12

I sometimes think in these terms: darkness = bad, light = good. But this little guy had me appreciating the darkness. And I wondered - where do people get a fear of the dark? Because it really is beautiful. And restful. And now I'll notice that there are many shades. Wonderful when 2 year olds can be our teachers.

beautiful creatures in the dark depths of the ocean

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we say that spiritually we are "in a dark place" and equate that with being a bad place. In reality, it is in the "dark" places in our life that we are able to let go and finally allow God to move, often because we feel we have no alternative. When you think about it, it's the safest place we can be. I wonder too why we become afraid of dark places - truly it is where God lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put that, Lisa. It's true - that's where God can be found, in the dark times. Although we don't wish for those hard lessons, in retrospect we can sometimes notice God's movement/presence.

    ReplyDelete