Sunday, 9 June 2013

Eden writes: La Casa Grande and other things

It's Eden again. Hello!

We saw different looking houses in Benin. They were made of sticks with a kind of hay on the roof.

houses in Allada
We fit 6 people in a car to go to church yesterday and I was on my mom's lap. I was SQUISHED! There were NO seatbelts in any of the cars we've been in. There are no carseats for children either. I even forgot that I had a carseat in Canada!

In the back of the cars they sometimes have pineapples, bananas, mangoes, and oranges. They carry chairs, pillows and baskets. This car even had dead chickens on top!

This car says "God sees you."
Isn't that amazing?
These are La Casa Grande names of the children who live there.

Girls:
Jeanne
Pascaline
Eleonore
Berenice
Eugenie
Abigael
Gloria
Marina
Bless
Auriane
Debora
Crespine
Aymadine
Chimene
Vivienne

Boys:
Fiacre
Jean Leo
Jonathan
Elihu
Gildas
Espedit
Vianney
Marius
Stanislas
Armel
Ferdinand
Joseph
Aristide
Anicet
Koffi
Gedeon
Moise
Vivien

We took care of the babies on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. What I liked the least at La Casa Grande was that there were thousands of ants and one even bit me on my big toe. They were humongous ants!

P.S. I don't think we have ants that big in Canada.

me, Vivien, and Chimene
What I liked the most about being at La Casa Grande was all of the friends I made.

some of my friends
I lost my 3rd tooth in Benin! If you look at some of the pictures of me after June 4th, I'll have a really big gap in between my top teeth.

I really liked eating the fish at La Casa Grande, but when we got more into the week, I got a bit bored of it.

The children wore flip-flops in school!

I mostly played with Jean Leo but Zoe played with Pascaline a lot.

me and Jean Leo
Zoe and Pascaline
That's all for now! 

Love, Eden



14 comments:

  1. Eden - What a lot of big smiles! Everyone looks very happy. I especially like your smile with the missing tooth.

    I enjoy seeing Benin through your eyes - the people, the homes, the cars with their big loads and no seatbelts. What an adventure you are having as you meet more of God's children around the world. You will have lots to teach me when you come home.

    love, Grandma J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eden! I love that picture of all that stuff on top of the car! That's crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel! I know it's crazy. Eden

      Delete
  3. Eden, I enjoyed your post so much and cannot wait to hear more of the stories from your time there. The packed down cars and freedom of carseats/seat belts must have been fun! And to meet new friends - what a blessing! Keep up the writing! Love, Aunt Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you live in the moment! "I even forgot that I had a carseat in Canada!" That made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eden, I feel so lucky to be able to experience a little of Benin and La Casa Grande because of you sharing your stories! I almost feel like 1 actually got to visit La Casa Grande my self! Thank you for taking the time to write your experiences in this blog. Doris Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to write to ME, Doris! Eden

      Delete
  6. Hi Eden,
    Levi just read your blog post this evening at bedtime. He wonders what you did with your tooth? What do children in Benin do when they lose a tooth?
    He is looking forward to seeing you soon!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a grandma who gives them presents or coins here in Benin. Eden

      Delete
  7. Eden,
    Ants are not fun to be around, we know that at our place too.
    It will be very different when you come back to Canada, sitting in your carseat again and not on your Mom's lap. It must have been fun driving like that.
    Thanks for sharing about the friends that you made at La Casa Grande. It looks like you had a lot of fun with them.
    From Madeline: "I see Becca and Dereka. I miss them."
    lots of love,
    Bethany, Madeline and Amelia

    ReplyDelete