Wednesday, 9 November 2011

letting go

More on this "less" theme...

I read the book The Fall of Freddie the Leaf by Leo Buscaglia - a beautiful story for young and old about seasons and acceptance.


Freddie the Leaf was so thrilled to be living in the spring and the summer. But when fall came, he started to worry. He saw his friends around him start to fall, and he wasn't so sure he was ready to join them. What would the ground be like? What would the fall be like?

It reminded me of our friend Carol who recently died. She hung on, not wanting to leave this life and the loves all around her. But she got to a point where she let go with grace, and she was herself right up until the end - always giving, always hospitable. 


I saw this little leaf on the morning of her funeral. It was so striking - the entire tree was bare except for this one little leaf. And I thought about how I hold on. How I like to control things. How it's hard for me to let go. 

Funerals have a way of reminding you of what's important in life. After being with my grandmas as they were dying, and hearing Carol's story, I am reminded to let go. To free fall, not knowing where I will land or what it will be like. To let go of the little things, and then - when it's my time - to hopefully let go in the biggest way.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CeCe: so good to hear from you!
    Shauna: Thank you.

    ReplyDelete