Wednesday, 2 November 2011

dancing in the morning

... is something I don't usually do. Or ever do. Until this morning. I've decided to give it a try - to change something little about the way I wake up.

This is how I usually wake up: roll out of bed, stretch, think "do I have to get up already?", grouch around at one of my family members (whoever is closest or whoever woke me up), get breakfast for kids, make lunches for kids, turn on CBC to wake up my brain, hurry everyone, get frustrated that everyone isn't hurrying fast enough, shovel down my own breakfast, bark out some orders, sigh, leave the house hopefully on time. I usually wake up a bit stressed out, already feeling like I don’t have enough time, already making mental lists and feeling like I won’t get enough done in the day, like I'm not enough.

So this is what I did this morning: rolled out of bed, did a little jig, laughed, went about daily routines with more calm than usual. So it's worth trying again.

I was inspired by a book I'm reading called The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho, and the dancing in it has struck me. Dance is used as a spiritual exercise, but also as a way to start the day in a positive, creative way that influences the rest of the day.

This photo was taken at my daughter’s dance class, and I just love the various expressions, and the full body movement, the joy and inhibition. Totally there, in the dance.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm, your morning routine sounds awfully familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, my friend, it's almost lunchtime here. So I'm going to dance before I eat as a way to loosen up my brain and relax. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather: I'm not at all a morning person. But I try...

    Amy: Did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a page from M's book. This morning she jumped for 5 minutes in a large circle, with a bath sponge in each hand, singing "jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle bells ......"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya: I love it. I'll try that tomorrow morning. Now to find sponges...

    ReplyDelete