Wednesday, 26 October 2011

not enough hours

I've been noticing lately how much I look at my watch. And it bugs me.


And I'm often running late or almost late because I just want to squeeze more more more into the time. And it's never enough.

I wish I could see each day as enough - see time as expansive. Not pack as much in. But I do, do, do. I'm a regular little red hen. I'm a human doing, not a human being.

But I want to rest more. Play more. Look at my watch less. Sigh less. *sigh*

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why."  - Eddie Cantor


When do I feel that "time is enough" feeling? When I'm visiting with friends or family. Summer camping. Lying under the stars. Walking through the pumpkin patch. Tobogganing down hills of snow. Swimming or canoeing in the lake. Then time is enough.

2 comments:

  1. Try taking your watch off :) Even then there are enough clocks or people with watches to refer to if need be. I have not worn a watch for years. Even when we were travelling through Europe neither Kirk nor I wore a watch. Though when teaching it might be handy but there are so many clocks around the school. If I am out and about and need to know the exact time, I just stop and ask someone the time. Try it for a day... a week. Over "time" your internal clock will kick in. It is amazing how close to the actual time I usually guess it to be. This being said, I do tend towards lateness, always thinking I have enough time. Now time to go. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wear a watch either (like Shauna, above.) However, that just means I've honed a very sharp and accurate sense of time. I can often guess the time to the minute. I often feel in a hurry, but I'm rarely late. I've fine-tuned the turnarounds for the many transitions in our day. Like you, I do not enjoy the hurrying or feeling like I'm a rush. But I'm also grateful for all that we manage to fit into a day. I love a day with lots of colour and texture and scenery. What I try to do, to counteract the rushed feeling, is to relax into the times in between, whether it's sitting with friends for a cup of coffee or sitting down to supper together.

    ReplyDelete