Monday, 3 October 2011

called by name

I was privileged to be at a friend's ordination last evening. It was beautiful and inspiring and made me think of calling. Am I called? What am I called to do? This post comes closest to what I can define right now - my most clearest calllings for this phase of my life are to tend the hearth here at home, and to give voice to stories.

But it is hard for me to sometimes claim these as callings. Or to even think that I COULD be called. Because maybe only others get called, or get talked to by divine beings. Not me.

If I search deep enough, I can feel it though. Only in the quietest moments, which tend to be few and far between lately.

Thus says the Lord, the one who formed you, the one who created you:

"DO NOT FEAR
for I have redeemed you.
I HAVE CALLED YOU BY NAME. 
You are mine.
When you pass through the waters, 
I WILL BE WITH YOU.
And through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you. 
When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your saviour.
YOU ARE PRECIOUS IN MY SIGHT, 
and honoured, and I love you." 

Isaiah 43:1-3, paraphrased


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Bec for this reminder. I needed that this morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too needed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some people need the lightning bolt and neon sign to hear their calling. Other's need a gentler, quieter way. That doesn't make the message less important. God has given you a beautiful calling, and by not acknowledging it as such is kind of like saying His gift isn't a gift... Call it what it is, and embrace it!

    ReplyDelete