In India, while studying the caste system, I lived in the "untouchable" section of a rural village. The following journal entry includes a spoken and unspoken conversation with a rickshaw driver and his wife (in photo below). While I spoke with them, I had a 100 rupee bill in my pocket (about 2$ Canadian). I've since been reminded of this feeling - where I'm the one with burning pockets, with money available, while someone else is not. What's my responsibility?
You have 4 children, rickshaw rent of 10 rupees a day, barely enough food, an addiction to alcohol, and frequent problems with the police...
I’m not alone, too many like me
palms sweating,
mind aching,
dollar bill
pounding,
pounding,
power.
I ask him how many years has he done this?
20 or so but SHE answers: what can I do?
What can I do? I reply
You have power, I tell her. You know how to survive.
You have a kind of courage that I haven’t yet learned.

No comments:
Post a Comment