Friday, 7 December 2012

what I know about me

December 7th: What do you know about yourself? Pick a number - could be your age, could be a random number bigger than 20 but smaller than 120. Could be 100! Then start writing things you know about yourself. There are many lists of "100 things about me" online. I decided to start with my age, but then I kept going because I was having so much fun.
  1. When I was young, I thought that the perfect honeymoon destination would be Disney World in Florida.
  2. I like to get cards where someone has taken the time to write something personal. Sometimes that's what I ask my husband to give me for my birthday. 
  3. I had a boyfriend from grade 4-6. This meant that we picked each other on teams at recess and he gave me a small stuffed bunny for Valentine's day one year. We didn't ever break up, but things fizzled out when we entered the larger pool of potential mates in grade 7.
  4. I had a mullet in grade 6. 
  5. My grade 6 French teacher called me rambunctious.
  6. I was sent to the principal's office in grade 11 for talking back to my French teacher. 
  7. I wanted to be fluent in French before I got married. I wasn't. Still not.
  8. I was blessed by Mother Teresa in Calcutta.
  9. I was blessed by an elephant in the south of India.
  10. I was sick for a week in a hospital in Jakarta, Indonesia. I wondered if I'd ever walk again.
  11. I love sushi.
  12. On the Myers-Briggs test, I score smack-dab in the middle between introvert and extravert. It severely annoys me when people lump others into introvert/extravert categories. I resist these generalizations as much as possible. 
  13. I have a soft spot for garage sales and thrift stores.
  14. I had a poster of Bono Vox in my locker in high school.
  15. I missed U2's Joshua Tree concert to go to a cross-country running meet in Rochester, NY instead. Stupid decision that I'll always regret.
  16. While others were renting limos to go to the formal in grade 12, my friends and I decorated a van, complete with signs that said "party van" and tissue flowers. Instead of an expensive dinner at an expensive restaurant, we had a progressive dinner at our various houses.
  17. I have a very sweet tooth.
  18. I often wonder what I really and truly believe.
  19. Sometimes I feel I have more in common with a Buddhist than another Christian.
  20. I don't like malls.
  21. The idea of a house church really intrigues me.
  22. I don't feel like I'm a good cook. This stops me from hosting more. So does a messy house, but this has been improving lately.
  23. I speed often, even though I attended a "speed kills" workshop after getting so many points on my record that they threatened to take away my license. 
  24. I'm chronically late, which causes me to speed. I learned this in the workshop.
  25. It really bothers me when airlines don't offer a free snack.
  26. I love thunderstorms, especially at night.
  27. I love The Sound of Music, especially the thunderstorm part.
  28. I have little sense of orientation. North, West, South, East mean very little to me.
  29. I would not make a good hockey mom. I used to get very upset at the players and refs when I'd go to my younger brother's games. I just can't shut my mouth when someone's being pushed around.
  30. The toilet seat should be down. I learned this from feng shui, and it just makes sense.
  31. I don't like it when people over-use the period. just. like. this. 
  32. My cousin and I used to spend hours making tape cassettes with Hardy Boy adventures on them. We had amazing, realistic sound effects. When we needed a water splash, one of us jumped into the pool. She was Frank, I was Joe.
  33. I have a learned helplessness with things like operating the TV and DVD player and making popcorn.
  34. I can't nap or I feel just awful.
  35. I love to travel. Favourite place: India. Second favourite: Guatemala.
  36. If I could pick someone to narrate my life, it would be Morgan Freeman. 
  37. I really enjoyed my brother's skateboard phase in high school, and I memorized several raps from his RUN DMC tape. I still know them.
  38. In high school, my friend and I used to make up raps as birthday presents for friends. I'm pretty sure they appreciated them. 
  39. I would love to live on a farm except without all the chores.
  40. I would love to live near water some day, even just for a month. Ocean is preferable.
  41. I would like to learn to ride a motorcycle some day. My time on dirt bikes and four-wheelers in the gravel pit in high school was awesome.
  42. I think I'll be fine if I never get a tattoo.
  43. I still don't really get the point of cell phones.
  44. I didn't have Barbie dolls when I was young. I had the Sunshine family (complete with mom, dad, baby, grandma, grandpa) and Cindy (less voluptuous). But I had an awesome laundry machine for Cindy that was battery operated and you could put real water in. 
  45. I regret cutting bangs on my Mandie doll.
  46. I love Cheerios any time of the day.
  47. I love Bollywood music. I know it's mostly about love and relationships, but this is what I hear when I listen to it: "life is great, don't you think! Have fun, you're awesome, you've got one life to live so live it well." 
  48. I love salsa and merengue music. I know it's mostly about love and relationships, and the message I hear when I listen to it is the same as what's above.
  49. I had a pet raccoon for one summer when I was young. I wrote a speech about him.
  50. I had umpteen books about Princess Diana (still have several favourites, including Pop-Up Royal Wedding and Charles and Diana paper dolls). I wrote a speech about her. 
  51. I love to travel and meet new people, try new foods, experience new things.
  52. I was in a gifted math program in grade 10 and I have no idea why. I suck at numbers.
  53. It annoys me when people say that they're spiritual and not religious. Yes - you and everyone else I know.
  54. I can't play long and involved board games. Bored games. My husband sure can.
  55. I love the smell of coffee, but not the taste. Ever since I went to India in 1995, I have loved chai tea. 
  56. I am not a gadget freak. I'm the opposite.
  57. Some of my childhood heroes were Pippi Longstocking, Anne of Green Gables, Ramona, and Laura from Little House on the Prairie.
  58. Some of my adulthood heroes are Deborah Ellis (love her books for kids) and Anne Lamott (love her irreverent writing).
  59. Last week I bought a sign at the thrift store that says "Dull women have immaculate houses" and put it in a prominent place.
  60. It makes me very happy to bring beauty to a room.
  61. I skied in the French Jura mountains. 
  62. I went scuba diving off the coast of northern Honduran islands. It scared the heck out of me until I saw the fish, then I forgot all about the many possible ways I could die while hooked up to a tank underwater. It was an absolutely beautiful world. A whole new world, as Ariel would say.
  63. I camped at the top of a huge waterfall in Morocco where we saw monkeys every morning and went to sleep to the sound of the falls. It's one of the most beautiful places I've seen.
  64. I played some sort of gourd in a salsa band in Cuba. 
  65. I'm not a big fan of routine.
  66. Although I don't love routine, I love tradition - creating and maintaining meaningful rituals and celebrations.
  67. Seeing children and youth perform anything can bring me to tears.
  68. Listening to Christmas music can bring me to tears.
  69. I've never been a girly-girl but I actually like having my nails french-manicured for a treat.
  70. I like to talk to the people I sit beside on an airplane. I love hearing people's stories and finding our points of connection.
  71. I was nervous as heck to make this blog public in March of 2011.
skiing in the Jura mountains
salsa band in Cuba

8 comments:

  1. This is fun!! And yes, your friends loved the raps you did for them ;-) I am putting in a formal request to hear a RUN DMC rap next time I see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Just for you, Mara! I'd love to hear some of your list about what you know about you.

      Delete
  2. I know that you make me smile. Thanks so much for the blog and for sharing yourself - it makes my day when I see your blog post in my RSS feed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri! This comment has made MY day!

      Delete
  3. Loved. this. entry. :) It reads like a short story. I have learned many new things about you. And love you even more. Is this possible? Thanks for sharing your list. May be some day I will make a list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Shauna. And I loved your use of periods. Yes - make a list! It's a fun exercise in both putting yourself down and bragging about yourself at the same time. I came away from this exercise feeling refreshed. :)

      Delete
  4. - "It severely annoys me when people lump others into introvert/extravert categories": I offer a hearty Amen sister to that one.

    - "I love thunderstorms, especially at night.": High five!

    Really enjoyed reading your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that dislikes those categories. :)

      Delete