Saturday, 1 December 2012

hope

I like to spend December reflecting on the year that's almost done, and anticipating the year to come.  This Advent I want to have one question for each day of December to help me to do that. You're welcome to join in the reflecting fun!

Since the first week of Advent is about hope, that's where I'll start.

Dec. 1st: What has given you hope this year?

  • hearing from family and friends who work in South Africa - about programs where people work with the most marginalized and inspire them to social action/transformation. I find that incredibly hopeful and inspirational.
  • releasing 5 monarch butterflies this summer. Always with a hope and a prayer.
  • reading "Do Hard Things" written by 2 youth, and seeing youth around me taking initiative and changing things. Having higher expectations of children and youth gives me hope.
  • my children. Constantly a source of hope, they help me to see through new eyes.
  • holding chickadees, and other experiences that connect us to the land and to creation. 

6 comments:

  1. Hope! Such a great thing to reflect on when there is so much negative in the world.
    * my me to we action committee of underprivileged youth who presented a moving assembly last week about 'being the change'
    * Nolan's mother who wants him to learn french even through all of this
    * my son who has trouble being serious and focusing singing his heart out with feeling today in the choir
    * this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agK8MIJ3T0

    And you, Rebecca! Always making me feel more grounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, you've brought tears to me eyes, especially #2 on your list. The work you do is so important. I love the choir one too! So wonderful. And oh my goodness - very inspiring video. You're on my list of hopeful people too, Rachel!

      Delete
  2. and this one....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdHlGaALc0

    Social media can give hope to the world, because regular people can say how they feel instead of governments speaking on behalf of their citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across this reading today which expresses some of the hopes that I think we all have - "Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration. The hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation."

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great quote, Sue. Thanks for sharing it. I watched hummingbirds this summer one afternoon - reading in a hammock. I'll never get tired of watching them - they're fascinating.

      Delete