December 8: What brought you pain in the last year?
December 9: Where did you find comfort during these painful times? If you could make a comfort bag for yourself, what would be in it?
In my comfort bag:
- rice bag that gets heated in the microwave and says "cherish" on it. I put it around my shoulders and feel very comforted.
- dark chocolate with sea salt
- photos of loved ones
- a letter from my grandma
- a scrapbook of encouraging cards/notes I've received over the years
- chai latte or other teas
- a journal
In Derek's comfort bag:
- a big screen TV where he could watch professional sports
- chips and popcorn
- something written by Umberto Eco
- a Bible
- Madden football for xbox or Play Station
- coffee or ginger ale or ale of some sort
- Settlers or some other 3-hour long board game
- baked brie with crackers
[Derek's comfort bag would need to be much larger than mine.]
I'm remembering last year, when I gave my parents and siblings gifts of comfort and joy. Here are the contents if you need a last minute idea. They were a lot of fun to make and put together. Here's what they looked like:
December 10: Advent week 2 is about joy. What brings you joy? How can you continue these joyful experiences in the new year? How can you use your list to bring joy to others?
JOY: Bollywood dancing, live theatre, making crafts with my daughters, thoughtful friends, a surprise note or gift, when people share their time with me and don't make me feel like they have something better to do or that they have to rush on to something else, finding a bargain at the thrift store, collaborating, an hour to read fiction on the weekend, visiting my parent's farm where I grew up, when people cook for me (I love any meal I don't have to make myself...maybe except some hot pot meats I ate while in China like sheep brains and cow's throat)