Wednesday, 25 January 2012

starbucks stories

Over the past 2 weeks, I've made the local Starbucks my part-time office. I like the white noise, the music, the free wifi, and the chai latte.

But some days the white noise has been more colourful than others. Some days it's pretty dull - which is exactly what I need to get some writing projects done. It's less distracting than the messes in my home. But the other day - boy. The distracting characters abounded.

Like the woman in her 50s who was talking really loudly to her dad about the intestinal infection that was spreading through her household, making her daughter faint because of low blood pressure, and making her question the wisdom of eating fries at Arby's. She wasn't sure if she was done with the infection (SO WHY ARE YOU SITTING IN A PUBLIC PLACE??), and she was warning her dad that sometimes it comes out both ends. Helpful advice. She was also planning a Chinese New Year's party and wanted to make sure that someone was picking up the oranges. She also wanted to make a creamy dessert using Grand Marnier. She teaches Latin at a local high school.

Or the man who was having some sort of business meeting with a woman about his age (early 30s). He was acting as a mentor of sorts to her, encouraging her in many ways. They're both in sales. He talked loudly. They are married, but not to each other. Both were professionally dressed; she wore high black leather boots. At one point he said to her, "I really like those boots. They're hot. They're like schwing!" WHAT?? He went on to describe someone they work with who has a nice body, but has dry hair and doesn't use the potential that she has in her looks. PARDON?? I wonder what he thought of my unruly hair and not-so-put-together outfit.

So maybe I've found my next calling. To spend hours in Starbucks and eavesdrop on other people's conversations then write about them. Could be a hobby anyway. If you're siting near me and you don't want your story recorded, just let me know. I'll be the one in the corner typing or scribbling furiously, making it look like I'm really getting a lot of work done.

10 comments:

  1. I love this post!

    Maybe I should get out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, do Carrie! I love setting up my office in different cafes around town. You really do learn a lot - and I do get a lot done too!

      Delete
  2. Funny! You do have a way with words Rebecca :) I was at Lens picking out some fabric yesterday and overhead a woman going on about how sick she was with the flu. I also was thinking - "what are you doing in public?" Stay home! I cleared the area pretty quick! Honestly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Do you really need to get that quilt done, or could it wait til you're not throwing up anymore?

      Delete
  3. Hmmm - were we meeting today at Starbucks? Should I be nervous?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I won't record any of our conversation in this space. :)

      Delete
  4. love this...so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, I absolutely adore this post. Someday I'll have to show you my notebook of descriptions of people in the airport lounge at 4 am when I ended up spending the night at Heathrow many moons ago. It makes for hilarious reading. I bet we'd have fun together at Starbucks - not getting much work done, of course, but your sharp eye and ear and vivid descriptions make for an excellent writing exercise to get the creative juices flowing. And then you can reassure yourself that you are working after all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mara, I'd love to read your Heathrow stories. Perhaps we can compile all of our observations into a compelling book. :) We WOULD have fun together at Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete