Wednesday, 4 January 2012

laughing at the future

Usually around this time of year, I reflect back on all that has happened to me in the past year - births, deaths, surprises along the way, pain, tears, laughter, and growth.

And it makes me squint a little as I try to make out the future for this year. I wonder: what's coming? If I were a character in Lord of the Rings, let's just say, and I was crossing a difficult mountain path and an evil sorcerer had cast a spell that whipped up one heck of a winter storm - I'd be very much squinting, holding my hands over my eyes even, trying to see the path in front of me, trying to figure out whether to press on - risk slipping off the cursed mountain - or attempt something equally as frightening - make my way through the underground mines.

OK. That was a bit dramatic. But do you know what I mean? I kind of welcome, but mostly am a little scared of, the future. Because what if something comes along that I wasn't prepared for? ('Cause that's life, right?) And what if? That's the biggest question: WHAT IF.

I was reminded of this verse in Proverbs 31:25 about a "capable wife",

"Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come."

Laughing at the future. That's what I want to do this year. Maybe it will even be a maniacal laugh. Sorry - I just saw The Muppets in the theatre yesterday (which was hilarious and fabulous and I laughed A LOT!). OK - perhaps not maniacal laughter, but a laugh that knows that things will be OK - whatever comes. That strength will come too.

I used to laugh a lot - especially in high school and university years - but I've serious-ed up a lot. And I'd like to get that laugh back. Because I think it's a better approach to the day, let alone the year. To laugh at the future. Even the unknown.

6 comments:

  1. oh, rebecca, i am wishing you a year full of lightness and laughter. you are wonderfully human and real...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishes for a wonderful new year right back at you, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the verse! I will write this one down. I often fear the future and I want to change my thought process ---- I want to trust that what ever comes I will have the strength to deal and trust and know that I have family and friends to share the road. Laugh more! A great message for the new year. Michelle, I might just have to write down "lightness and laughter" too and put it in a prominent place. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be hard sometimes, eh, Shauna? I want to take hold of that laughter and lightness this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up here and lovin' every word. I am so into "lightening up" right now...thanks for this verse and the image of laughing at the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Beth - a good goal to lighten up. :)

      Delete