It's an interesting idea. Each employee had a photo taken, then placed onto a coffin. They were to write their own eulogies - for some, this was a very moving assignment.
But here was the kicker - as part of this course, the participants spent 5 MINUTES IN A CLOSED COFFIN. It was a time to be quiet and to reflect, to spend some quality time alone.
And it made me wonder:
- what would I think about during those 5 minutes?
- would I come out a changed person, even in a small way?
- would I have a renewed sense of purpose, of why I'm here on this earth?
- if I was thinking of dying, would it make me want to live?
For the group featured, it seemed to be a moving experience. People emerged - hugging, laughing, and relieved. One man said he was lazy in his normal life and now wanted to push himself in new ways.
This blog was one of my goals/dreams for this year - to push myself in a new way. I don't have big goals like climbing Mount Everest, but even the small ones seem to take some courage and persistence.
Here are some other goals/dreams of mine:
- to sleep on a tropical beach and not worry about crabs
- to be fluent in French (I vowed not to marry until I was fluent in French, but that vow was broken in favour of another one)
- to some day, somehow be done sorting through the boxes of crap in our basement
- to get my wedding photos into an album before I'm 50
- to show love daily
- to be and become my self
A favourite quote by Mother Teresa:
"Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul.
Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal."
Do you have a wish list of things you want to do? New ways you want to expand/push yourself?