Saturday, 18 May 2013

Zoe writes: we're off!


Rebecca's note: I am pleased to introduce a guest blogger who will be blogging alongside me over the next month - my daughter, Zoe. She wanted to try blogging as a way to document what she's experiencing on our month away. I'm sure she'd love to hear your feedback! :)

This is so exciting! We’ve been talking about this for months, and now it’s actually happening! I’m on my flight to Rome, Italy. We flew over the CN tower. It doesn’t look so tall from up here!

 I’m flying Alitalia and the movies on the screen are all in Italian, so I can’t understand anything!

I’m hoping I don’t get really bad Jetlag! When we arrive in Rome, I’ll feel like it’s 1:00 in the morning but it’ll actually be 7:00 am.
 

Now I’m off the plane and we’ve been at a café for about an hour since a man named Romano picked us up from the airport in this huge van-taxi. It could fit 8 passengers, not including him! We can’t check in to our apartment until 11:00, so we’re sitting at this café table with all our suitcases and lots of people are giving us weird looks. Our apartment is 10-15 minutes away from basically all the Roman sites. Today we visited the Piazza Navona and tomorrow a new day begins!

eating gelato in front of the Pantheon
sitting with the famous Italian liar

drinking from a water fountain
in the Piazza Navona, a one minute walk from our apartment

There are so many things to see and do, I can’t get my head around that we’re actually in Rome!

Ciao,
Zoe

10 comments:

  1. Rome is wonderful. Enjoy! So glad you are blogging, Zoe. With Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zoe! You're a natural at blogging. Lucky for your family to enjoy real Italian Gelato!!! I look forward to reading more about your observations of what it feels like to be a visitor in unfamiliar parts of the world, out of our normal comfort zones; walking in different shoes. Looking forward to your next reflections.

    Thinking of you and your family and the Beninese friends you will soon meet.
    - Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia! I really enjoy blogging.

      Delete
  3. Hi Zoe: What a great surprise to read your blog! Your excitement
    and anticipation for all that you are experiencing is contagious and makes me feel like I'm there with you and your family.

    I could just picture you sitting in the café with all those suitcases surrounding you. Were you able to get some sleep on the plane?

    When I open up my computer I wonder whether there will be another blog. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    P.S. I'm watching the Ottawa Senators and the Pittsburgh Penquins
    Hockey game. No goals yet. :-)

    Hugs, Sue Shantz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I really like when people give me comments.

      On the plane, I might've slept for about one hour.

      -Zoe

      Delete
  4. Hearing your stories about your flight and your arrival remind me of my trip to Europe. Thanks for sharing! Did you watch the Italian movies anyway? What is the Piazza Navona? What's your favourite part of Rome?
    Can't wait for more blog entries!
    Aunt Bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany, Thanks for your comment. We didn't have our own screens but I watched the Italian movie while listening to the radio. The Piazza Navona is a plaza with some fountains (3) and artists, restaurants and people selling things. I didn't really have a favourite part because I liked a lot of things, but one thing I would come back to is the Colosseum. Love, Zoe

      Delete
  5. Hi Zoe, I loved reading your description of Rome. You reminded me of a wonderful trip I took to there last year. I think you must be a good writer to bring back so many memories to me. Keep up the good work!

    Beth Metzger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe -

    I really love your writing style. When you describe the places and add your own reactions it really makes me feel like I am there.
    I remember Rome too - I remember wishing that I could speak fluent Italian - it seemed like such a passionate and fun language to speak!
    You are a budding blogger!!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete