Thursday, 14 March 2013

world without end

I've been listening to talk of cardinals and Vatican city and black smoke and conclave and locked doors and wondering: what exactly does this have to do with my life? And I've been coming up with absolutely nothing.

But yesterday when we watched the announcement of the new pope, I got a little teary-eyed. The part that affected me most? When Pope Francis ended his prayer with "world without end."

It's a term I don't use in my prayers, but he might just have inspired me to add it. It sounds so hopeful - like there really might be a point to this whole religion thing after all. And to life in general too. And it made me hopeful for a tradition - full of flaws and brokenness - that can speak a word of new hope to this generation.

As a Mennonite, I don't have many prayers that I recite and say over and over again. And sometimes this makes me a bit sad. I yearn for some ritual in my daily routine. Some connection to the divine that's been practiced for years and years and years.

So perhaps I'll try to incorporate this short "glory be" prayer as a way to build hope into my day.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be,
world without end,
Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Love that prayer, it's one that is sung often in the Anglican church. Always reminds me of going to church with my grandmother when I was little.

    I got quite teary-eyed about the pope, too, but for very different reasons. I had really been hoping for a pope with a more modern approach, but alas that is not to be. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love those high-church traditions - Anglican, Catholic - we could use some of this in our Mennonite prayers.

      About the pope - seems like that's a slow-moving animal - maybe they'll be ready for a rock-the-boat pope in a couple hundred more years? Who knows.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I always find those prayers very comforting, like no matter what happens, this remains a constant.

    ReplyDelete