Monday, 23 April 2012

ready, set, sold!

Long time, no write. This past month has been an adventure in real estate - one I've never had before.

We had a wonderful agent who included a home stager to give us advice on how to make the most of our house and stage it well. Basically, she advised clearing out about 1/2 of our stuff, painting, new counter tops in the kitchen, and buying some stuff to spruce up the bedrooms and bathrooms. I was skeptical as I went through the house with her. It just seemed like an excuse to spend a lot of money - fluffy white bath towels here, bed in a bag there, white waffle-weave shower curtain here, seagrass baskets there, edit and organize everywhere, lots of floor space everywhere. But we took her seriously and did many of the things she suggested. And I'm a believer. The house sold for above asking price in lickety-split time. We're relieved, and it's nice now to live in our new and improved house for a few more months.

I've learned a lot, so I'll pass some of those learnings on in case you ever find yourself in the house selling world.

1. A fast trip from store to store can quickly add at least $100 to your shopping bill in the form of a nasty speeding ticket.

2. Shabby chic, in a home decor sense, only goes so far. There is a fine line between shabby chic and just plain old shabby junky. We have a bit of both, and had to decide what stayed and what left for staging our house.

3. When you are packing up a house in Ontario, Canada, you will make frequent trips to the liquor store. For quality, free boxes. Move directly to the pile of boxes. Do not linger.

4. Clearing out half of your house to get it ready to show gave me a physical aversion to buying more stuff. I did a lot of shopping in the past month - probably more shopping than I've ever done in any other month in my life - and I developed this distinct physical reaction in my gut when I'd think about bringing home anything that wasn't going to help us in the staging and selling of our home. My stomach felt a bit woozy. I hope I can keep that feeling alive in our new home so that I don't welcome the clutter in there. Wishful thinking? Hope not.

5. There are different wardrobes expected for different stores. The difference between the consumers' wardrobes at Home Sense and Home Depot are worlds apart. Usually I would visit both stores on the same outing - a bath towel here, a blind there. I was casual enough to look like I could be a DIY-er at Home Depot, except I wore flip-flops instead of work boots, so the sales people usually knew I needed help. At Home Sense, my funky jacket could pass, but the flip flops should have been traded for some cute little high heels that I don't own. Plus I should have worn make up and cared about my hair. Then I would have looked like I love to shop to decorate my home.

6. Find friends or family who will let you store stuff in their basements or garages. It takes a village to stage a house. We have spread our stuff out to 5 wonderful friends and family for the next few months, and we're grateful.

7. Don't clean a toilet with a screwdriver. It doesn't work.

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous post! Thanks for making me laugh this morning. I too have been experiencing #4 while in the midst of a major season of household purging. And I love #3. Congratulations on your sold sign and this new season in your family's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Beth! Hope your purging has gone well. So lovely to meet you (finally) yesterday!

      Delete
  2. I love #7. That's hilarious.
    I'm so happy for you that everything worked out so well. Can't wait to move you into your new home this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's embarrassingly true. Don't try it, Bethany. I'm happy to hear you'll help!

      Delete
  3. We are in the process of deciding what to do about housing. Stay? Build? Buy? Several weeks ago, I packed a bunch of stuff in boxes in order to clear clutter and some dust bunnies that had lingered long enough to become friends already!! I have already decided - if it's not simple and simply lovely, it won't come home. Not a huge issue, since I'm not a huge shopper, but still. Worth remembering!!

    Too bad we're so far apart - because I'd love a few simple tips about readying our house for sale! I'm a bit challenged when it comes to pulling fluffy whites, waffle-weave curtains, and cozy duvets all together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your "simple and simply lovely" rule. Definitely worth remembering! I'm happy to talk staging and selling - I was a loser as far as these things go before this experience, but I actually enjoyed the process (mostly).

      Delete
  4. This is a scream! Having someone look at one's house from a different point of view, and following up on their suggestions...and it worked!

    If you pack up a lot of stuff in boxes, I wonder whether that will help you de-clutter when you move because you think, "I haven't even missed this stuff!"

    I will take note of the screwdriver tip! Carol P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I'm hoping that we'll still do some de-cluttering on the other end - when we unpack. Like our books - altough I'm addicted to books, we don't need as many as we do. We've packed up 95% of our books for the next 2 months, and we use the library a lot more. What a wonderful thing the library is! A constant source of more books - for free! Oh, the wonderfully simple lessons I am learning...

      Delete