Friday, 24 June 2011

hitting a wall (or window)

Yesterday Eden saw a cedar waxwing bird hit our window and fall. The bird sat on our walkway, wanting to fly, willing itself to fly, but stuck. She couldn't even chirp. Her mouth was constantly moving, but no sound came out.


I had read just the other day that if a bird hits a window, we should often just leave it alone - just let it be, and after a short while it may recover on its own. And so we watched and waited.

Eden loves anything and everything to do with nature. It was all she could do to stop herself from scooping up that needy bird and cradling it in her arms. I allowed her the pleasure of gently stroking the bird's back a few times.


Eden gently encouraged the bird, speaking softly and reassuring her. About a half hour later, that bird flew right up into the tree, chirping and singing again - a different bird altogether. I marveled at the speed of her recovery.

After I've hit a wall I need much longer than 1/2 an hour to heal and fly again. But maybe I don't take the time to wait, to cry out silently with no words coming from my mouth, to rest in the hope that some time, hopefully soon, I may just fly again.

"But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. 
They spread their wings and soar like eagles, 
they run and don't get tired, 
they walk and don't lag behind."
Isaiah 40:31

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

"The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, 
for faith is necessary to have wings."
- James M. Barrie

6 comments:

  1. Our sweet Eden :) Rebecca - where do you find all these quotes to pull out at a moments notice? Happy Friday Friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious precious moment for Eden to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna: I have a little quote book of favourites that I've collected over the years, and then there's always Mr. Google who is always ready to help in a pinch :)

    Rachel: Definitely. She prayed about that bird at night time too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am often humbled by the patience our children can demonstrate. Would I have waited even half an hour to see what happened to this little creature? Probably not. Distracted by all the things that still need to get done. Always in a hustle to get on to the next thing. And yet our young ones can get so absorbed, so focused, so... teachable. It is a priceless gift, this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful, sweet girl! I agree with the comment above about taking the half hour to sit with the bird like she did where we are always busy rushing from one thing to the next. I would have been popping out to watch it between loads of laundry or washing dishes and the next thing I'd know, the little bird would be gone.

    We grew up in a house with a treed yard and had many birds hit the window; some survived, some didn't and we were always so upset when that happened!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah and Suzanne: I know - half an hour can easily be filled with running around trying to get things done. I too am humbled by the focus that our little ones can teach us.

    ReplyDelete