Tuesday, 12 February 2013

s-t-r-e-t-c-h

...is my word for 2013. It came to me as I lay in the eucalyptus steam room at the Scandinave Spa in January, celebrating my 40th birthday. Stretch. Breathe in the good. Sweat out, breathe out, the bad.

I've been putting off a blog post because now that I'm in my 40s, I should probably be really insightful and wise. And I just can't come up with anything to fit that bill. So I'll just write.

I sometimes catch myself and say, "You're not in high school anymore" or "You're an adult, Rebecca" because sometimes that's just so hard to believe. There are things that I haven't done yet - like wear high heels, or roast a turkey, or enter one of those shops that say "adult store" - so I think that I can't possibly be 40 yet.

But I want this year to be one of stretching, of exploring new things and new pieces of me. Our family is getting excited about a trip we'll be taking in May - we'll be heading to Benin, West Africa for a month. That will be a wonderful stretching experience, I'm sure.

I want this year to be one where I pay more attention to my body - to walking, running, breathing in and out, being more aware. So starting the year hopping from hot tub to cold plunge pool to solarium rest room was simply divine. I highly recommend it!

During this season of Lent, I want to stretch too. Stretch myself by being quiet, at least for 10 minutes a day. This sounds ludicrously simple, but it usually just doesn't happen.

Here's a website that I love the looks of - 40 acts - so creative and a fun way to focus this Lenten period.

I also want to write one card - simple, not long - to one person each day of Lent. If you'd like to be one of these people, contact me with your mailing address, then watch for a card to appear sometime before Easter!


7 comments:

  1. Wow! It's my word, too, Rebecca. I am hoping to use it to remind myself to slow down and take time for the less obvious, quieter, meditative actions that support my high-energy activities. So far, however, I seem simply to be stretched ... as in stretched thin.
    I look forward to hearing how you work with your word over the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I'll gladly stretch along with you this year, Carrie. I love the word - how it has so many meanings - can mean stretch to do more, try new things, but also to do less. I love how you've used it in that way. And I hear you with being "stretched" - but some of this I bring on myself, so it's my own darn fault. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear you haven't roasted a turkey either. I feel like such a bad Mennonite woman b/c I can't make good gravy and once I burned an entire chicken in the oven! I need to learn this skill. Good thing my husband has mastered it so he can enable me for a bit longer:)

    Lent is something I think I will practice this year. I never have before but for some reason I feel a pull to do it. Thanks for this post as it reminded me to think about Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, Kristen? I look at the "Mennonite Girls Can Cook" cookbook - which is beautiful and inspiring and all - and I think "maybe God forgot about me." I wish I had more confidence to make gravy and other meat-making skills like that. There's still hope, I guess! And I'm glad I'm not the only bad Mennonite woman out there. :)

      Delete
  3. Did I ever tell you about the first time I tried to roast a turkey (after inviting my French inlaws over for their very first Canadian Thanksgiving)? How I was horrified when I brought the prized turkey home from the butcher's and unwrapped the brown paper only to find it still had a head, some choice innards and feathers? How Gilles had to saw off its head with a hacksaw because we were just married and had no turkey-head-severing tools in the house yet? How I then proceeded to set off a huge grease fire in the oven and had to douse the turkey and oven in flour to put it out? Yah, we might have to talk about that story over some wine someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you did, and Tasha reminded me of this story recently. I love it - it gives me hope, Mara! And it makes me laugh, even though I know it put you in a mess of tears at the time. I just love picturing that hacksaw scene. It's perfect. I would gladly hear it again over wine. :) This summer?

      Delete
  4. Yes, I believe we talked about it when you were here in Provence. It's just a friendly reminder, if ever you're feeling a bit scared to be more adventurous with your cooking (or anything else in life):
    1) you can take comfort that your meat will probably never be as bad as what I described above and 2) we can do hard things!

    ReplyDelete