Tuesday, 23 October 2012

catch and cradle

In Find Your Strongest Life, Marcus Buckingham talks about balance. That everyone's striving for balance, but that it's not a realistic or desirable goal. Balance is a shifting target, and we're never quite sure whether we've achieved it. I know I usually come up short when I try to assess my life in terms of 'balance.'

He says that we should strive for imbalance - intentionally shift our lives toward those moments and activities that bring us joy and strength.

He calls this intentional imbalancing "catch and cradle."

By catching, we're noticing the moments in life that strengthen us, and intentionally "catching" them, holding them, noticing them.

By cradling, it's like we're paying very close attention to the moments, like you would when you cradle a small baby. We're concentrating on, accepting, cherishing, and nurturing those moments of strength.

I loved this idea. So, in my search for imbalance and for strong moments several weeks ago, I went for a walk. It was a beautiful fall day, and I brought my camera to help me catch and cradle the fall beauty.

I started to see leaves all over the place that were "caught" - by cobwebs or crevices in trees or by magic, it seemed.


Blessings to you as you catch and cradle moments, days, weeks this fall.




2 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I love these photos. They are magical, especially when thinking of being intentional about what we notice.
    I like Buckingham's take on the finding balance thing. Balance often seems elusive to me. Intentionally seeking out things that bring joy makes me think of living in the moment more, instead of feeling the guilt of not being at work, not being at home, not being......
    Someday I think I'd like to read it.
    Love that you're posting again btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is very elusive to me too. I love this imbalance idea. That - I can handle! Thanks for your encouragement, Rachel.

      Delete