Tuesday, 14 February 2012

sharing the love on Valentine's day

I loved Valentine's Day as a kid. As a teenager - not so much - the candy grams and roses that could be purchased in the cafeteria and the pressure to coupledom drove me a bit crazy. Made me feel alone some years, rather than loved. And that I should be part of a couple to feel whole, which I thought was dumb.

I've never been a fan of it as a romantic holiday, but celebrating Valentine's Day with my family is just fun - I get my kindergarten teacher hat on and go with the theme - hearts, hearts, everywhere.

The only time I've made meatloaf in the last 2 years is on this special holiday. Do you know why? It's not because my husband loves it, it's because you can cut it into cute heart shapes and put a nice red ketchup heart on top. I wanted to do the mashed potatoes in a heart shape too - on each person's plate - but Derek told me (with his look) that this was going too far.

Zoe's supper face
We had our valentine's supper last night because tonight won't work. After the theme-shaped meatloaf, we passed around construction paper hearts - one for each person. We each thought of something nice to "fill their bucket" and wrote this on the heart. We passed them around one by one and Eden (5 years) said, "I love this!" She got into the writing too, and wrote either "You are fun," "You are funny," or "You are fablis" (fabulous). The two youngest wanted to read their valentines to the rest of us  - they were proud of the words that were shared with them.

We also put hearts on our world map for some of the people that we know who live overseas. This map is by our kitchen table, and it's a reminder to pray/think about these people in various places.


Eden asked Derek to draw a Valentine's picture for me. This is what he drew:


It's an interesting, fictitious wedding proposal picture. Can you see the shiny ring in his hand? He has never been down on one knee to ask me anything. Our proposal went kind of like this: "so, should we get married?" "I think so. What do you think?" "Ya, I think so too." "Ok, well - when?"

That was it. No bent knee, no ring. I wanted ankle bracelets instead. That's just the kind of girl I am.

Getting back to this holiday today - for me, it's about sharing the love - the love that's expressed within our family, but also from our family out to others.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! I love the idea of sending a heart around the table and writing a warm fuzzy on each one. I think we will do that tonight. I can just imagine Erik and his scribbles :) I also like how you think of others and share the love around the world. Extending the love to family and friends. Thank you Rebecca. Now back to Valentine making :). Sending much love to you, Derek, Zoe and Eden. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love right back at you and yours, Shauna! xo

      Delete
  2. Just took a closer look at the world map. In Ontario, does that say "Hello my name is Brandon" ? Funny. And the photo Derek drew - that is just how I pictured your "proposal"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's what it says! I guess he wants our thoughts/prayers too.

      I know. It's so accurate, isn't it.

      Delete
  3. I loved this idea, so I decided to do it with my family too. Well, to be honest, after listening to my children bicker horribly for hours on a day that was supposed to be celebrating love, I figured we could use some sharing of it. The girls loved it and were proud to read their hearts after. Then Gilles strung the hearts together like a garland and hung them from the banister to remind us of what a lucky family we are. Of course, the next morning they were back to bickering before Anouck had even stepped foot out of her bed, but for a brief moment you could really feel the love in our house, really, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this - thanks for sharing it, Mara. I know all about those bickering times - which makes moments of love all the more sweet. :)

      Delete
  4. This reminds me of something we did for birthday parties one year. The birthday girl/boy had their profile drawn and cut out (by tracing their shadow from a bright light), and then people at the party wrote down one thing that they appreciated about the birthday child. A fun thing to look back at!

    Also, I so resonate with your proposal story, so like ours. There is so much romantic hoopla about proposals these days. It's not that there was not romance for us, it's just that I was not waiting around for him to pop the question! Carol P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a great birthday idea, Carol! And so nice to know that I'm not the only one with a boring proposal story! I love it.

      Delete
  5. love your valentine meatloaf and the hearts passed around the table and the hearts on the map...so much love...i *love* it!!!!
    i also have mixed feelings about valentine's day as a holiday (geez, you reminded me about the roses for sale in high school...i hated that!!!). !!!
    if you have a moment, check this...i think you'd appreciate: http://michellegd.com/2012/02/14/love/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry about the high school flashback, Michelle. :) I'm off to check out your post!

      Delete