Monday, 22 August 2011

friends

I just spent 3 glorious days at a lakeside cottage with 3 glorious friends and their families.

These are longtime friendships that I deeply cherish, but I'm not so great at keeping in touch. As we've grown up, some years have gone by with little to no contact. We're scattered all over the place - not living in the same town. Facebook has certainly improved things in that department, but I sometimes get a bit annoyed with myself for not keeping in better touch with friends that I love dearly.

If people don't live in my neighbourhood, or go to my church, or have kids that go to my kids' school, or share something else on a weekly basis, a long time can go by before we see each other. Life just goes on. But luckily, these are friendships where no apology is necessary - we can just pick up where we left off, and marvel at the ways we can still connect after all these years. Laughing. Deep conversations. Belly-flop and diving contests. Singing 80s tunes around the campfire. And more laughing.

But it makes me think about intentionality. When I'm intentional about it - actually contact someone and set a date, it's wonderful and we ask each other why we don't do more of it. What I put in is directly related to what I get out of a friendship - if I make an effort to connect, I'm infinitely blessed by our time together. So why don't I do it more often?
a portrait of us, from the knees on down
"The best mirror is an old friend." - George Herbert

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, 
and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." - Anais Nin

How are you intentional about maintaining friendships? What do you do to keep in touch?

6 comments:

  1. You are the best!!!! It is so true about intentionality and the richness that pours from it. I'm so thankful for the 3 days. It has had me thinking lots of friendship and it's importance in my life but also the lives of my family. By the way I highly approve of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen 6 high school friends in the last 3 months and it's been WONDERFUL - richness pouring, like you said Allyson. This is not normal for me as we live all over the place now. But it's made me give myself a kick in the pants to see how I can meaningful connect with people - to keep building on those friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne of Green Gables said it all when she talked about kindred spirits. What happened at Redwing is proof that we need not worry about it. We just pick up where we left off and look forward to the next time. No need to spend time and energy fretting, but simply relish the time we do spend together. Two years will fly by, and before you know it we'll all be back there, with a few more wrinkles and grey hairs perhaps, but just as much love and laughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post Rebecca. Out of the blue, to me it seemed, I got a call from Allyson. Inspired by your words, she decided to be 'intentional'. What a gift to my day...better than chocolate! And true enough, we just picked up like no time had passed at all. You are a gift as well, my dear. I love reading your blog and insights on life. Keep 'recognizing' (reference to another blog...but you probably caught that!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel! You are a gem. Thank you for telling me this! We must connect in person again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mara: I love how you said that - "but just as much love and laughter." This inspires me.

    ReplyDelete